Saturday, August 26, 2006

Causes of coma

1. Diseases that cause no focal or lateralizing neuro signs, usually with normal brain stem function.
Ct scan and CSF are normal.
A] intoxication: alchohol,sedative,drugs,opiates
B]metabolic disturbances: hyponatremia,hypernatremia,hypercalcemia,diabetic acidosis, hypoglycaemia, nonketotic hyperosmolar hyperglycaemia,uraemia, hepatic coma,hypercarbia,addisonian crisis,hypo and hyperthyroid states,profound nutritional deficiency.
C]severe systemic infection:pneumonia,septicemia,typhoid fever,malaria,Waterhouse Friderichsen syndrome.
D]shock from any causes
E] post seizure,status epilepticus
F]hypothermia,hyperthermia
G]Hypertensive encephalopathy,eclampsia
H]concussion
I]acute hydrocephalus

2. Diseases causes meningeal irritation with or without fever, snd with excess WBC or RBc in CSF. CT no mass lesion
a]subarachnoid hemorrhage
b]bacterial meningitis
c]encephalits
d]fat embolism,cholesterol embolism

3.Diseases that cause focal neuro signs. CT abnormal
a]hemispheral hemorrhages
b]brainstem infarction due to basal artery thrombosis or embolism
c]brain abscess
d]subdural haemorrhages
e]cerebellar and pontine hemorrhages
f]brain tumour
g]traumatic brain injury
i]miscellanous:cortical vein thrombosis,herpes simplex encephalitis,acute disseminated encephalomyelitis,TTP,pit apoplexy.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi

Thanks for the great blog. I really enjoyed reading it. In fact if I were you I would go to http://www.autosurfmonster.com/ and submit this blog so thousands of others can see it for free. I am not trying to advertise for anyone, I just feel like more people should have the opportunity to see this blog and I also got a lot of free hits from them for my own blogs.. Well anyways, I look forward to all the updates.

Jessica

Anonymous said...

hello my name is Lala, I commented that I have visited your blog and I liked very much, and I'm going to be a follower of your blog, if possible, also invite you Aque visit my new blog, "Mesophelioma" which deals with this enfermadad so malignaun little information has not hurt anyone, I would like to support me in this microenterprise following the blog, thank you very much for space and luck

http://mesophelioma.blogspot.com/